Nvidia GT540M and Ubuntu: Will they be able to have their happy-ending?

As the most of you already know, I started the blog posting about linux and ubuntu, most of all because at that moment, I just heard about it and I was starting to learn how to use it, so I found quite interesting to share my experiences with all of you.

After I bought my last computer, It happened something really bad and unexpected: the Nvidia graphic card was not working at all with every driver I installed. The result: an useless OS without beeing able to use graphic designing programs, games, and of course no way to manage the Unity graphic interface.

What a shame, I went back using Windows, and I'm still using it much more, because Ubuntu is not working well with the graphic card.

But!! I got a really nice suprise today, looking in internet and checking out again, if there is already a solution for it, or if someone got it, and I'm really pleased to be able to share with you this project, which as I read in some blogs, looks working!! :)

http://bumblebee-project.org/index.html


The name is "Bumblebee Project" and is aiming to support Nvidia Optimus technology under Linux. In another words, is a project for making the Nvidia graphic cards which are working with Optimus technology, under Linux.

The problem is not the drivers, that is an effect, a consequence! 

The Optimus technology was created to improve battery life, switching between the chipset graphic card and the Nvidia's one. That means, the laptop has a graphic chipset for the normal graphic quality, and the Nvidia's graphic card for high quality demands. And the problem is, that Linux was not able to manage both cards, to switch from one to the other, considering that Nvidia Corporation's software is not available for Linux developers.

Now I'm really happy about it, because a lot of users like me, were extremelly frustrated having a really expensive graphic card and not beeing able to use it in Ubuntu at all.

I still didn't try, but I wanted to share the info with all of you. I will post if it works, and I will tell you exactly how I got it. :)

At least I leave you here the info for installing that on this project's site you can find, not only for ubuntu, but in this case:

Ubuntu linux

Currently, you need to open your terminal and enter the commands below.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
If you are on Ubuntu 11.04 or older and want newer drivers (recommended) than the ones available in the official repos, run:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
To install Bumblebee using the proprietary nvidia driver:
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
Reboot or re-login. More help and information for Ubuntu can be found here. 

Nice sunday for everyone!!! Hier in Detmold is so sunny and so nice today!!! :)

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Ay, querida Soledad!

Tenerife

El verano ya llegó